Prince Edward Collegiate Institute (PECI) is a community school emphasizing a challenging academic program for all students. In addition to traditional school courses, PECI offers the Venture University Enrichment Program for students who are prepared for academic and co-curricular challenges. Students are encouraged to apply to Trading Up, a specialized four-credit focus package that emphasizes the skilled trades. A broad range of technology, fashion, food services, photography, co-op, and the Envroquest outdoor education program prepare students for success. A fully-equipped resource room, opportunity room and library provide students with the tools to succeed. To improve student literacy and mathematical literacy, we also have Accelerated Reading and the Panther Help tutor program. Continuing a 50 plus year tradition, PECI continues to serve students living in Prince Edward County to ensure their success in the world.
Arts and Athletics
PECI offers students many opportunities to participate in co- and extra-curricular activities. Some recent activities include:
• Stage productions have been performed for the community
• Visual Arts students have participated in local and regional art exhibits
• Gold medal band performances at the Quinte Rotary Music Festival
• Guitar music program in addition to the regular music program
• Daily lunch time Intramural program
• Athletic activities include rugby, basketball, soccer, volleyball, cross-country, track and field, golf, badminton and swimming
• The Sr. Boys' Soccer, Girls’ Rugby and Boys’ Swim teams have been COSSA champions
PECI’s large campus has excellent facilities to meet all student needs:
• Newly renovated science labs and technology rooms for manufacturing, construction, transportation and communications technology
• Three gymnasiums, a weight training room and playing fields
• Multiple computer labs and a library resource centre
• Excellent facilities for the arts.
Prince Edward Collegiate Institute
41 Barker Street
Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0
Principal: Darren McFarlane
Vice-Principal: Doug Callaghan
PECI is a community school. An active Students’ Council and a senior Entrepreneurial Studies Class lead many school projects. Participation in local events provides our students with valuable experiences and enable us to develop partnerships which enrich both the school and the community.
Some recent initiatives include:
• Fundraising for Picton Food Bank, Canadian Cancer Society, CNIB, Salvation Army, Terry Fox Foundation, Children’s Aid Society, Hastings and Prince Edward Learning Foundation, Hoops for Heart, and Christmas Angels
• Community Care walking program shares our facilities with seniors
• Our focus program, Trading Up, was created with assistance from all levels of government and a host of Prince Edward County businesses which partnered with the school to provide financial and material assistance.
• OPP partnership through Crimestoppers