Why take Science?
If you’re in grade 9 or 10 it’s because you have to. But some students take science because they need it for their chosen career or they want to keep as many career options open as possible. Others take it simply because they like the subject, the teacher, their friends are taking it, ... Whatever the reason, you are taking science - EXCELLENT!! But what about those students not taking science - I don’t need it! I don’t like it! It’s too hard. Here are a few reasons why I think you should take science:
- Science surrounds us. It is part of our daily lives, all day, every day, everywhere we go.
- Science is a way of knowing and thinking about the natural and physical world. From an early age, we interact with our environment, ask questions and seek ways to answer those questions. This lies at the heart of knowing and doing science.
- Science is a human endeavour with strengths and limitations. Understanding the implications of these strengths and limitations enables us to benefit from scientific knowledge for personal and social purposes.
- Science is a process for producing knowledge. The importance of science to our daily lives is greater than ever: choosing to consume organic or genetically modified foods; choosing products with the least impact on the environment; choosing an energy provider; making informed health-care decisions. We all make science-based choices every day.
- Science is also the foundation of an innovative and entrepreneurial Canadian culture.
Contrary to what others may say, science is at the core of significant political decisions that Canada must face regarding issues such as health-care and the environment. As such, understanding science is crucial for all Canadians to be able to take an informed and active role in our country’s future. And what better place to begin gaining that scientific knowledge than at PECI!
Back to Science